Cobra Body Modifications



Put the Cobra back up on the jack stands to do some modification work. The first thing I need to do is get the firewall and floor perfectly aligned and fiber glassed to the body. I want to do this so I can remove the entire body as a single unit. The second thing I want to do is make a support that will go from frame rail to frame rail and will follow the shape of the body just in front of the radiator. The purpose of this is to support the front of the car to take all of the weight that is resting on the firewall as is cantilevers off. Without doing this all of the weight distorts the body making it appear that the hood does not fit. After I get that done I can glass on the inner fender wells that make the inside of the engine compartment. I want to reinforce these with aluminum so that I can suspend the entire front of the car on urethane bushings. This will allow me to keep the body separate from the frame and isolate all vibration so it never reaches any of the fiberglass parts that would lead to cracks. I need to get this done before I get the motor back from the dyno so I can just drop it right in. Having the frame up on stands will make it easy to fit the transmission support and check all engine clearance before dropping it back down on the ground. This will also make it easier to fabricate the headers for the side pipes.

0 Comments: