Powder Coating


I’ve been getting allot of calls recently about powder coating. There are many experts and places to learn (Eastwood has great tech support), but all I can do is share my experiences, what works, and what doesn’t work for me. First of all I have powder coated all kinds of metal, steel, aluminum, stainless, brass, copper, copper-nickel, and a small piece of titanium. One thing is important regardless of the base material; cleanliness. Starting with an even finish all the way around is critical whether by bead blasting or polishing. All surfaces, including chrome must be 100% de-greased and handled with latex gloves. One fingerprint is enough oil to leave a pattern in the finished product. Aluminum should go through a de-smut or chemical bath to clean the pores. This can be done with a water/battery acid mix 50/50. ALWAYS add the acid to the water and rinse the part thoroughly in purified water.
I have found that preheating the part makes it easier to get an even coat on a dry part, and to make sure the little nooks and crannies get filled. If you are using a translucent powder over chrome it is critical to have a ton of light to get the coat an even color. The chrome must also be spotless. I use lacquer thinner to clean chrome parts. Inspect every part with a strong light to make sure there is powder in every corner. Always follow the recommended temperatures and cooking times.
I think that less is more. A thick coat of powder melts unevenly and does not make it better. A thin, even coat is adequate. You can always re-coat if needed. I have found that a hot part re-coats easier than a cold part, but do what works for you.
Finally, hang the part the way it is going to go in the oven. When you are coating the part it is much easier to avoid hitting or bumping it, which knocks powder off. I hang the part on a spare oven rack and transfer it to the oven by lifting it by the hanging hooks. The only reason I do this is because I coat out in a garage because of the mess, and keep the oven in my clean shop. Don’t rush! Let the part cool down naturally and you’ll have a gorgeous part.

0 Comments: